Monday, December 23, 2013

All We Need is Love

There is something I have to get off my chest. I know that I don’t always have a popular opinion and that’s okay. I’m used to it. Over the weekend, gay marriage was allowed in Utah. I was shocked at the status updates filling my Facebook wall. I have a lot of homosexual friends and a lot of friends with family members who are homosexual. Do I agree with their lifestyle? No. But they may not agree with mine either. BUT, just because I happen to believe something different than they do, it does NOT give me the right to take away their happiness by being judgmental and plain mean.
A lot of things have changed for me in the very, very short time I’ve been a mother. Lynette, I’m calling you out! Listening to all of the stories you have told me about what your son has gone through have always touched me but since Camilla has been born, they have even more so. Numerous times I’ve gone home after having one of our dinners and cried because I can’t imagine the pain he has felt and the pain you’ve felt as a mother trying to protect her son. I also can’t imagine the joy you felt hearing the news last week. The way you changed your views and how you’ve worked to give your son the best life possible will always be an example to me.
Of course my religious beliefs play a big role in what I think about the whole situation, but my parents have always taught me that we should never, ever judge another human being (thanks Mom and Dad!). We were not put on this Earth to judge our fellow man, we were put here to love and support our fellow man. I have never heard in any teachings to love when it is only easy or convenient. My favorite primary song says “As I have loved you, love one another” it doesn’t say “as I have judged you, judge one another”, or “As I have loved you, love when it is convenient for you”. Regardless of what my beliefs are, it is not my place (or anybody’s) to place judgment on another person for how they live their life. I would not want that. The way I live my life may be in the minority when compared to the rest of the world, but that doesn’t give anybody else the right to ridicule or make fun of me. It’s my choice and my life. The same goes with homosexuality. Just because it may be in the minority and different from how the rest of the world lives their lives, gives NOBODY the right to belittle those who live that way. When and if, we are judged for our choices and the way we’ve lived our lives, it will not be up to you or I to make those judgments. Those are reserved for a higher power. I for one, do not want to be on the wrong side of “Why didn’t you love your fellow men? Why did you judge those so harshly when you were so far from perfect yourself? Why did you go out of your way to make one of my children unhappy?” I intend to be able to look God straight in the eye and say “I loved even those I could not agree with. I loved those who were different from me and I tried my best to share in the joys of others.” Am I wrong to believe that way? Maybe. But I feel much more at peace living my life that way than I would if I were living my life trying to take whatever happiness others could have away from them. I don’t believe that is my place. I choose to go on living my life the way that makes me happy and I intend to let others do the same without making them feel like they are a lesser human being.
Rant over. I’m stepping off of my soapbox.
And Merry Christmas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment